We offer personalized one on one photo lessons for beginner and intermediate photographers who wish to:
- Become more familiar with their digital camera
- Gain a better understanding of the principles of photography
- Take their photography to the next level.
Each lesson will be catered to the student’s particular needs, camera, and skill level.
Our tutorials can be combined within the same learning session in order to meet each individual’s interests and needs.
Jackson Gruber, Owner of Indie Photo, has been teaching photo classes for over 10 years. He has been educating, consulting, and providing guidance to the general public on photo and camera related matters for almost twice as long. He is a self taught photographer who grew up in photo labs and camera shops. He was fascinated by cameras and photography from a very early age and still maintains the same amount of excitement to this day.
His teaching style is very hands on and believes the best to learn is by doing instead of being told.
Personalized photo lessons allow students to get 100% attention from the instructor, learn at their own pace, and get the most out of their time and money by catering each lesson to their particular needs. By asking a few simple questions at the beginning of each class, Jackson will work with the student to achieve their particular goals.
These lessons are designed for someone who has recently purchased a Digital SLR (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, or any other camera with advanced manual capabilities) and wants an in depth introduction on how to use their camera. Beginning with the basics, students will learn all of the technical aspects of their camera (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, metering) while also learning the key principles of digital photography. Having a solid foundation in these topics will help students go beyond auto mode and get full creative control over their camera.
Jpeg vs Raw
– what format works best for each individual
– how to use aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the best results under varying lighting conditions
– what setting works best for each situation
– how to get the most out of the scene by using tried and tested methods of composing photographs
– what focal length or lens will work best for given scenario
– adjusting pictures and when to use Flash vs. Ambient Light
Types of Photography the lesson will apply to:
Low Light / Long Exposure situations
Kids and Babies
After the lesson, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Familiarity with all of the buttons and menus on their DSLR.
- An understanding of their cameras features and how to apply them towards taking betting pictures
- Functional knowledge on the principles of digital photography
BASICS OF POST PROCESSING
These lessons are designed for someone who is looking to familiarize themselves with editing programs, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. These programs open up a whole other world of possibilities for creating the best photograph possible and helping to match the photographer’s vision.
- Creating a workflow solution that makes importing and organizing photos easier and more efficient
- Cropping and perspective control – how to create a more dynamic image using these simple techniques
- How to use the tools in Photoshop and Lightroom to maximize the potential of every image
- Using layers in Photoshop – unleash the possibilities
After the lesson, students will be able to :
- Retrieve files from the digital camera and save them to their computer, external hard drive, or online site.
- Organize their photos using a system that is efficient and easy to implement
- Convert and process raw files
- Manipulate their images to get the best possible color, contrast, and exposure.
- Fix images that might be too dark or too bright.
- Less intensive course for those running short on time: $60
- Standard and Recommended: $80
- Extra time dedicated to learning Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Lightroom: $100
Courses will take place at Indie Photo, where students can learn in a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Students are also offered the opportunity to receive hands on learning outdoors, if conditions permit.